Saturday, January 17, 2015

Días de la semana

Do you ever plan what you think is a quick throw away lesson has your students begging for more? That happened this week for me. We are getting ready to do a unit on La Oruga Muy Hambrienta but first I wanted to preteach the days of the week to students. I had a song and a quick game for students to practice the days. They went wild for both.

The song: Basho and Friends never disappoints. My students from kindergarten to 5th grade LOVE their songs. The three I use most are El alfabeto, Buenos Dias, and ¿Cómo te llamas?. And now this one! I literally had a third grader break dancing to this song. Fifth graders were doing this weird dance that included squats. (Some of this might be due to the fact that we haven't had outdoor recess in awhile.) As long as they were singing and not hurting themselves I let them break it down however they wanted.




The game: After watching the video twice, we played our game. I had the days of the week out of order up on the SMART board. I split the class into two teams - girls and boys. One person from each team would come up and put the days in the correct order while I timed them. The fastest person won for their team. This got pretty noisy as I allowed their teammates to "help" (ie. yell the answers at them.)

In the next class we played this game again but I handed out cards to each table. Students played in pairs and raced the pair at their table to put the days of the week in the right order. We played with shoulder partner, then face partners, then I switched up table mates and we did it again. They loved it each and every time. Although I think the key was switching partners.

At the end of each class I would use my calendar set and we would go over today, tomorrow, and yesterday. Now that we've practiced the days of the week alone we will read La Oruga Muy Hambrienta. More on that later.

How do you teach the days of the week? Share in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. My kids love this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nyuTTn6hVM&index=4&list=PL2QOguZtMt-dpKL3I6lmqwHjcJR5fnBLC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great video! I like that it's slower - easier for students learning them for the first time. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete