Sunday, January 29, 2017

Animales Yoga

My kindergartners are talking about what animals they like. It's also that time of year where more often than not we have indoor recess which means when I see them after lunch they are more than a little squirmy. My solution? Yoga! It's great for kinesthetic learners, wiggly kindergartners, and there are lots of authentic resources out there to tie it to the target culture.

We read Oso Pardo, Oso Pardo and I decided to focus on 4 animals that can be pets and ones that had yoga poses.


El perro - downward facing dog pose




El gato - cat pose




La rana - frog squat




El pez - corpse pose





Here are some great resources with lots of different poses to fit the needs of your classroom:

http://www.kidsyogastories.com/kids-yoga-poses/ - 58 poses with different ideas for which animals/vocabulary to use them with.

Here are 2 videos that you can use all of or just part of. They are also great authentic resources for body parts. I will be using the first one with my 5th graders next week as a listening exercise during our doctor unit before we actually do the yoga poses.





Do you use yoga in class? Share in the comments below or on Twitter using the hashtag #earlylang! Namaste!


1 comment:

  1. I think this is wonderful I truly appreciate the information shared in this post I am going to bookmark this!

    ReplyDelete