Thursday, January 23, 2014

En mi maleta yo necesito...

Spanish Club this semester is taking a virtual field trip to Madrid. Apparently I did a better job of "selling" it than I did last semester because in the end I had 75 kids sign up! I could only take 30 but my plan is to recruit Spanish students from the local universities (there are 2 local and another 2 slightly local) to volunteer so I can take everyone in the fall.

The first part of our field trip had us packing our suitcases. I introduced the new vocabulary by actually showing them a suitcase I had packed with some old clothes. I taught them the new word and then passed around the clothes to each student. They had to say the name of the item before passing it on. This turned into a noisy bit of throwing clothes around but since this is after school I let them have their fun as long as my clothes weren't being destroyed. They seemed to really pick up the words this way as well. Then we watched the following video on cómo hacer una maleta. 


 
After watching the video we made a cute paper maleta. We took construction paper (pre-cut with rounded edges) and glued white paper inside - mine had a word bank on it but blank white paper would also work. Black construction paper letter C's, cut from the Ellison dye cutter, served as our handles. Then the students drew the clothing they wanted to take with them on the inside and labeled it.
 
In the next Spanish Club we will make passports and then get our plane tickets and "fly" to Spain! (I have an in-flight movie and safety instructions ready to watch and one student already begging to be a flight attendant!)

2 comments:

  1. Just curious…how much of that video can your students understand? I know mine would not be ready for that yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't understand a lot but I like to introduce them to authentic resources as much as possible. What I like about this video is that she shows the items so the can figure out what she's talking about AND it puts up the words on the screen. We reviewed the items before we watched and then they get to hear it a real life context. Since this was Spanish Club rather than a class I didn't do too much with the video itself but I think in class you could make a listening sheet with as much or as little scaffolding as they needed. You could have the items listed with some extras and they have to circle the ones they hear. Or they might write down what they hear if you want less scaffolding. I would definitely show it several times if I was doing an activity like that with them.

      Delete