Sunday, August 10, 2014

Goals for the new school year

Alas, summer is almost over. So my room is decorated. I've got lesson plans ready for the first week and my first day outfit is picked out. Now it's time to set some goals for the year.


1. Use the APL strategies I learned this summer in training. Specifically putting the kids "on the clock" as in I give specific time limits for every activity and then use a timer to make sure I stick to it. Other strategies like teaching the behaviors I want and reteaching students who need more practice to get it right. And status reports during group work. And, and, and....this is a great training if you ever get a chance to take it. I have a list of action items from the four day class posted next to my desk to remind me.

2. 90%+ is always a goal. I'm going to have the students keep me honest by challenging them to make me stay in Spanish. The class with the most class periods in 90+ Spanish will earn some sort of prize.

3. Hispanic Heritage Month we are doing a Family Night with flamenco dancing. I'm hoping to get a LOT more participation from the teachers since I will have very specific things to give them to do.

4. Send more stuff home - coloring sheets with links to the youtube videos we watch in class; optional homework; letters/certificates to communicate the good things that students do in class. 

5. Do projects that personalize the learning for my students. We're going to write books for their classrooms in Spanish, make ¿Cómo estás hoy? posters, and write pen pals in Mexico.  I also decided to not print out flags to decorate my room. Instead I'll have older students color them and then I'll hang them up.


What are your goals for the year?

4 comments:

  1. Great goals! I use a timer for 'momentos de silencio' (when kiddos are doing a project or activity page) and I would like them to focus on that and not on chatting, which works well. And that 90%, always a challenge, especially when you have a kindergartner rolling around on the floor or pinching a classmate, or a Third Grader who suddenly gets sick on your rug (ahhh, the fun of elementary school lol!). I find it relatively easy to stay in Spanish myself, but getting the kiddos to also, considering their small vocabulary and the need for little ones to tell you all about everything (the news of their life :) ) is the hard part. I look forward to reading how it is going for you! I've added you to my blog list and would love to have you visit our blog when you get a chance http://elmundodepepita.blogspot.com/ Saludos, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and my goals lol
    -Integrating more partner and small group activities. I have always found these activities to be more challenging to manage, and getting data for assessment purposes is logistically harder. But, the kiddos love them, so up, up, and away!
    -The 90%- every year a goal :)
    -Adding more cooking/taste tests to my classes. We do not have access to a kitchen, so this has always been a challenge (and with 80+ kiddos per grade level, the amount/cost of food can be daunting). However, they always are memorable!
    -Classroom management- I'm good at it, but I can always get better. Our population demographic has changed dramatically since I started teaching 20 years ago, and kids have changed, which means I need to change!
    Yay to a new year! I love what I do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Goals! And wow - I'm impressed that taste tests are a goal. I have 650+ kids so I can't even fathom trying to bring in food for everyone. But you're right they do really enjoy and remember it. My kinders KNOW tengo hambre because I gave them goldfish when we studied that!

      I love your blog added you to my blog list. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Wow! And I thought my 400 +/- kiddos was a lot! There is no way I would be able to do food for all my grades at one time; in 4th Grade we make pico de gallo for Mexican Independence Day and my Kinders or First (depending on the year) enjoy chocolate caliente, and I've done a few other things here and there. My plan is to solicit parent volunteers to help out, and then only do a food thing for one grade level at a time. Otherwise, I don't think I could manage it lol!

    Thanks for adding us! Buen martes!

    ReplyDelete