Sunday, February 23, 2020

Area & Perimeter Dream House Project for Spanish Class

Me and My Home or the house unit is one of my favorite units to teach. This unit has so many ways to incorporate interculturality, literacy, and math. Check out my post on la casa centers.

For this unit I focus mainly on numbers to 100, types of homes (casa, apartamento, duplex) and rooms of the house. We also spiral back to family members.

After the kiddos start feeling comfortable with the rooms of the house we move on to designing their dream homes. It's a great STEAM project and a way to introduce or spiral in numbers by having students calculate the area and perimeter of each room.


Practice numbers to 100 - I like this video because it gets kids up and moving.



Practice calculating area and perimeter - I made these practice worksheets for some guided practice after I realized not everyone was getting it last year. My plan this year is to use these first in a whole group and then have students work together. 





Look at authentic blueprints in Spanish - This is a great way to bring in some #authres. Once they feel comfortable we'll look at real blueprints. Check out my Pinterest board for links. 



Partner Work - Students take turns to draw their own houses and label them. If you add dice they can roll the dice and then draw the room to those dimensions and figure out the area and perimeter. 


Final Product - The kids design their own dream house. Or I like to talk about worry dolls during this unit so we name a doll, talk about what they are like, and then design a house for it. Last year at the end of the unit (and right before state testing) I gave each student their own worry doll. And of course we glue their house designs in their interactive notebooks. They love looking back at them later on.




Because we only meet every three days this unit does take awhile but it's so engaging that the kids don't mind. Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers Store for the practice sheets, reference pages, and final design pages. 



How do you teach about the house? Do you have students design dream homes? Share in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment